General issue with remaining registry entries after uninstall

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
RKossow

General issue with remaining registry entries after uninstall

Postby RKossow » Thu May 25, 2023 4:44 am

When I use a setup.exe to install and then uninstall a program there always remains an artefact in the following registry key ...
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\"Productversion-GUID"

Value-Name "UninstallString" Value: C\Users}Username\AppData\Local\"Productversion-GUID"\NameOfInstaller.EXE

IMO this is a bug. Not?

RKossow

Re: General issue with remaining registry entries after uninstall

Postby RKossow » Thu May 25, 2023 4:51 am

BTW - this registry remains are there when I install and afterwards uninstall with the very same user. So this is not the issue that the install-context might have changed between install and uninstall.
There seems to be the "clean-up" logic of Installaware on uninstall not complete.

RKossow

Postby RKossow » Thu May 25, 2023 4:57 am

And further information - this is happening on a persistent Citrix VM
I will recheck with a local installer on my development workstation and let you know of the outcome.

RKossow

Postby RKossow » Thu May 25, 2023 7:22 am

This also happens on a physical machine.

Interesting:
When I install via MSIEXEC and then uninstall via MSIEXEC under reference to the product version in admin-/systemcontext (e.g. MSIEXEC /X {GUID}) the unistallstring is removed.

The uninstallstring written by the installer is wrong it is MSIEXEC /I {GUID} - where it should be MSIEXEC /X {GUID} - as far as I know.

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:09 am

Are you sure those values are written by your InstallAware setup and not a third party setup you may be shelling to?

The InstallAware setup engine does not employ the notation you have quoted when creating uninstallation keys.
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

Return to “Technical Support”