Final authenticode signing fails

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
khalprin

Final authenticode signing fails

Postby khalprin » Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:38 pm

I'm using InstallAware X15 (32.40) and have issues with authenticode signing. My project goes through the build process and every signature step that's logged in the progress window succeeds except for the last one. The last one fails about 50% of the time I build the project. Since it can succeed the configuration is valid, but it doesn't *always* work. I don't think it's an issue reaching a timestamp server or it would happen at other times during the build process. And I've tested running batches of signtool from a command line and that always works (literally, always!).

The build process ends with the messages:
Created SFX file
Cleaned up
Code signing with SHA 1 hash: <file name>
Error during build: Code signing failed!

What could be the issue?

tosch

Re: Final authenticode signing fails

Postby tosch » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:53 am

I'm having the same problem since years.
I (and Installaware) could never figure out what the problem is.
When I restart Installaware it sometimes works. If that doesn't help a reboot it normally fixes the problem for a while.

Thomas

BartWilson

Re: Final authenticode signing fails

Postby BartWilson » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:29 am

Could the Timestamp server be limiting your attempts to use it? I thought I've read where timestamp servers can limit usage if you haven't purchased the certificate from their site. IE if you had a certificate from GlobalSign, using a Digicert timestamp server could recognize this and possibly limit the number of times you sign in a day/week or something like that?

I know I struggled to have InstallAware sign stuff given many timestamp servers were stopping their support of the SHA1 and thus I had to keep switching servers. Finally the SHA256ONLY option was added in X15 32.23 I believe which allowed me to just use the timestamp server that works with my certificate.

Return to “Technical Support”