.MSI causes "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" error

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
axisuser

.MSI causes "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" error

Postby axisuser » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:50 pm

When setting my InstallAware X16 project to output a .msi file the resulting installation doesn't work on Microsoft servers. I can run the .msi in Windows workstations but not servers like 2016 or 2019. I get the error "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." Why is this the case? These are generic server installations and have no policies set regarding .msi files. If I set the project to .exe then everything works fine. My customers are expecting .msi files. Why doesn't this work?

I'm used to Install Shield where this was trivial.

axisuser

Re: .MSI causes "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" error

Postby axisuser » Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:36 pm

This only happens on servers

BartWilson

Re: .MSI causes "The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" error

Postby BartWilson » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:08 pm

Could this have something to do with the UAC settings in your IA project file? Many of the projects I work with use the "Elevate Administrators Only (highest Available)" setting. Not sure I tested my .msi installer on a server setup given it is designed to run on a specialized Windows 10 or 11 box.

I saw no one answered here for about a month.

axisuser

Postby axisuser » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:16 pm

This issue doesn't seem to present itself on workstation but only servers. I think it's UAC related but only in a way that effects IA .MSI files. We have moved to .EXE files for now.

axisuser

Postby axisuser » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:18 pm

When I run .msi installation from other vendors they run without issue. Only the .msi files created with IA cause the error in Windows servers.

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm

axisuser wrote:When I run .msi installation from other vendors they run without issue. Only the .msi files created with IA cause the error in Windows servers.

A system policy affecting all MSI files could not logically be affecting only InstallAware built packages.
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

Return to “Technical Support”