InstallAware Multi Platfrom /Linux - unwanted console output

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Lem2983

InstallAware Multi Platfrom /Linux - unwanted console output

Postby Lem2983 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:04 pm

Hello,

When ones runs a compressed/single file type Linux installer in terminal, it can observe some 7-Zip and the installer related console output - the screenshot is attached.
Is there a way to avoid that in the production version of the installer?

Thanks.

JohnGaver

Re: InstallAware Multi Platfrom /Linux - unwanted console output

Postby JohnGaver » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

Great to hear from you again!

You would be pleased to know this cosmetic issue is under investigation and already scheduled for a fix in an upcoming release.

I'll be sure to ping the team again and let you know what I find.
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:39 am

Great news, freshly released InstallAware Multi Platform 1.2 has resolved this issue for all platforms, including Linux and Windows (the latter of which apparently had more problems in this regard, actually).

Just use the built-in update tool and upgrade to the latest version at your convenience.
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks
InstallAware Multi Platform - Liberating DEB/RPM/PKG/MSI(X) into universal native setups!
Get your free copy today - https://www.installaware.com/installaware-multi-platform.htm

Lem2983

Postby Lem2983 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:57 pm

Hello John,

>>Great news,

Great news indeed, but the update does not work, the new release is not detected, please check the attached screenshot.

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:56 am

Could you download www.installaware.com/iamp/updates.ini with your favorite browser on the affected device and attach it herewith please?
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks

Lem2983

Postby Lem2983 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:22 pm

Hello John,

>>Could you download www.installaware.com/iamp/updates.ini with your favorite browser on the affected device and attach it herewith please?

I am sorry I am not sure what you want me to do. We are running IA on Linux. What should I do with the aforementioned ini file?

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:52 pm

No longer required, apparently the concern was whether the INI was being cached or not somewhere along the way (ex: by your ISP).

Could you try again now please, if you haven't already manually updated to the latest release?

For the record, the INI file contains all your update settings, and is fully supported on Linux.

You can look at the built-in web update script if you're curious how it all works under the hood:

1. Switch to the Visual designer by clicking the Visual button at the bottom of your IDE.
2. Choose Project Properties | Application Information.
3. Check the Receive Application Updates box.
4. Switch to the Code editor by clicking the Code button at the bottom of your IDE.
5. Click the Updates tab to see the built-in web update script. Feel free to customize it any way you like.
6. From the menu, choose View | Project Manager and double-click any of the update_* dialogs to check them out, too; and customize them as required.
7. The beauty of InstallAware (Multi Platform) is that literally nothing is hard-coded. That includes your web updates.

Hope that helps?

BTW a head's up - another Linux update is due soon, maybe as soon as this Friday - implementing a pure console mode self-extractor, which won't have a GTK3 (or any other widgetset) dependency.

IIRC I had been informed by your account manager that you were in need of that functionality as well?

The decision was made to enable the pure console self-extractor only when the NOGUI compiler variable is set to TRUE.

The default for that compiler variable is AUTO on Linux, which bundles both our GUI and console engines, and that'll still use the GTK3 self-extractor by default. You could always manually override this behavior by renaming a couple of files in your InstallAware Multi Platform folder (ex: if you want to force the use of the console engine with mixed mode setups).

If you have any input regarding this behavior, please don't hesitate to share your thoughts. For instance, you couldn't currently (easily) have mixed mode self-extractors, where the console self-extractor would automatically launch the GUI self-extractor where possible. Thank you very much for your feedback!
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:32 pm

Great news!

Regression testing wasn't done in time by Friday, but v1.3 has been published today (and is being served through web updates).

Enjoy!
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks

Lem2983

Postby Lem2983 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:07 pm

Hello,

Sorry for not replying sooner, busy with work.
Today I installed the latest available release (1.3) of IA (Linux build), the amount of the irrelevant output decreased but still exists:
------
[HINT] TWinControl.CreateWnd creating Handle during loading frmDesign_5:TPoolTemplate csDesigning=False
[HINT] TWinControl.CreateWnd creating Handle during loading GoForward:TButton csDesigning=False
[HINT] TWinControl.CreateWnd creating Handle during loading GoBack:TButton csDesigning=False
[HINT] TWinControl.CreateWnd creating Handle during loading ProgressBar1:TProgressBar csDesigning=False
------
Thanks.

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:00 am

Sorry to hear that!

Could you please clarify the following so I may escalate this internally for you:

- Exact InstallAware Multi Platform version as reported in the IDE About box.
- Your verification that you did not recycle a formerly downloaded license, but re-downloaded the latest license for this particular release. If this is not the case, please correct that and try again.
- Exact Linux distribution, version, and architecture (ex: Mint 20 AMD64, Debian 12 AARCH64, etc.)
- Exact build mode of your project, as seen in the IDE Project | Options menu, Project | Compiler Variables page, the value of the NOGUI compiler variable (www.installaware.com/mh52/desktop/prede ... iables.htm).

Thank you!
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks

Lem2983

Postby Lem2983 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:33 pm

Hello,

>>Could you please clarify the following so I may escalate this internally for you:
>>1
>>..
>>4

Done, the screenshot includes all necessary info. I used a clean install of Pop!_OS 21 and the latest release of IA / uniglob.
The way to reproduce the problem is to open "User Registration and Feedback" example, change the theme to "MacOS", build a single installer and run it in the terminal - you will see the debug output.
pop_os_21_1.png

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:01 pm

The issue is theme-dependent, in that scenario?

Also to clarify, this is an AMD64 platform?
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks

Lem2983

Postby Lem2983 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:53 pm

Hello John,

JohnGaver wrote:The issue is theme-dependent, in that scenario?

This is good question but I am sorry I cannot answer that because IA supports like 10 different themes and I am not going to try them all due to the lack of time. I can only repeat what was mentioned before: in my test (I used one of your samples) I used "MacOS" theme (this is what we are using in our Linux installer) and got the reproducible result.

JohnGaver wrote:Also to clarify, this is an AMD64 platform?

It is not, it is x86_64, the output of the commands uname/lsb_release is shown on the screenshot.

Thanks.

JohnGaver

Postby JohnGaver » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:07 pm

I only asked because it sounded like the User Registration and Feedback sample did not directly reproduce the issue until you changed the theme to the macOS theme - is this the case, or was that untested?

Naturally, there is no expectation that you burden yourself with testing the 15 themes that ship inside the box.

Again, it would be great if you could attach as empty a project as possible that reproduces this issue, while as doing as little else as possible.

x86_64 is indeed AMD64 - the other alternative would have been aarch64, also called ARM64.

And I suppose this is all with GTK2 and not Qt5, of course?
John Gaver
InstallAware Skunkworks

Lem2983

Postby Lem2983 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:22 am

Hello John,

>>And I suppose this is all with GTK2 and not Qt5, of course?
In this case yes.
But I would expect you (the testers if you have any) check for everything (GTK2/Qt5),since we are talking about a small issue/bug that better be fixed irrespective of whether or not IA users have already reported on it.

>>x86_64 is indeed AMD64 - the other alternative would have been aarch64, also called ARM64.
It depends on the definition, there are several, one of them - CPU architecture/ instruction set, thus Intel falls into the same category.

But all this is pointless argument while the time of the essence. The first post describes everything, one has to look at it carefully.
Sorry I dont have access to the project any longer it was a clean VM, running a fresh Linux distro, with IA installed by default, the only change in your own sample was the type of theme. After creating the screenshot showing all what you need to reproduce the problem the VM was deleted.

Thanks.

Return to “Technical Support”