Localization Process

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
rufhouse

Localization Process

Postby rufhouse » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:09 pm

Hi -

I am new to the InstallPackage world. Saw a link on another forum and had to check y'all out. I have tried the trial versions of InstallAnywhere, InstallShield and Wise. I like InstallAWAREs IDE and tools, pretty neat, cleaver layout... just tring to get it all to work. my boss likes the interface of InstallAWARE, so I am researching it more at this point.

---
What I am having trouble with today is the localization process. My end result toay is to create a simple install package in Chinese (PRC).
My system has the Chinese language selected in the regional settings (control panel).
I am using WinXP_Pro with SP1.

---
Here is where I am from the directions so far...

1) Language setting in the 'Project Options' dialog correct - set to Chinesee (PRC).

OK that was easy and clear...

Instructions now suggest to do the following:

2) Edit the instalation script with the 'script editor' and localize all the strings used in the script.

:?: HELP - how do I do this? Is the script editor selected at the bottom of the IDE changing between visual/code? If yes, how do I localize strings used in the dialogs?

3) Edit your installation dialogs, and localize all strings used in the installation dialogs.

:?: HELP - lost on this one too. I can open the dialog editor and modify text, but do I update it with a translation, say from 'babelfish.com' or is that done in the Translator tool?

4) Open the Translator utility (choose ToolsStart Translator) and localize all strings falling under your target language.

OK, opened the Translator Tool, found Chinese(PRC). I see the 2 columns of text on the right side of the screen. :?: Do I update the left language? with what? Am I editing for meaning? or the language's characters. Is this where 'babelfish.com' translations are inserted? I think I may be on the wrong page...

5) Rebuild your setup, and deploy.
No problem here, but will complete after 1-4 are done.

-----

I am probably missing something easy.
If there is a more in depth document I can refer to or if futher assistance can be offered I am willing to listen :)

thanks in advance :!:
- rufhouse

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:24 pm

2) Yes, click code and where your script displays message boxes, or other user elements, localize those strings.

3) You open each dialog in the dialog editor. You may do this by double-clicking the dialog preview image in the visual view, dialogs page.

4) Not sure what you mean by babelfish. You select the language and edit the part on the left, translating the text shown in English to your target language.

Let me know if you need more help!

rufhouse

Localization Process

Postby rufhouse » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:11 pm

What do you mean by - "localize the strings" ?

Lets start with #2.
I have the visual/code selected to code and I am looking at the 'code view layout', the script is in the center of the window. I have found a MessageBox - rightclicked the line - popup has nothing about localizing, doubleclicked the line brings up a MessageBox dialog... but nothing about localizing...

Do I need to manualy edit the strings in the code to reflect the other language, or leave it alone english and use the translator utility.

Am I in the wrong place?
please explain...

babelfish is like "http://translate.google.com/translate_t" where you can enter text in one language and it will translate it to the other.

thankx, I do appreciate the help.
- james

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:47 pm

"Localize the strings" means "translate the strings from one language to another language".

For #2, when you double-click, use the keyboard to select edit the English text to your desired new "localized" language.

Please let me know if you need further help.

rufhouse

Localization Process

Postby rufhouse » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:12 am

Thankx -

I tried again with Chinese and it didn't work... kept getting "???????????" where I would paste in the Chinese characters.

So I changed to another language, something simple: Spanish. I modified the strings and dialogs. It did display the Spanish words. Compiled and built the EXE - no problem. YEAH. A new Spanish Install. Cool.

OK, so that works... can you give me any suggestions on why the Chinese characters are not displaying? I have been using MS Word to hold my phrases and the characters are displaying fine in MSWord. Websites I go to display the Chinese characters fine too.

Is there something I need to do on my local PC to display the characters properly in InstallAWARE?

Appreciate the help -
- james

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:18 am

Are you using unicode? Make sure you are using ANSI.

rufhouse

Localization Process

Postby rufhouse » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:23 pm

"Are you using unicode? Make sure you are using ANSI."
- beats me, where do I look? In the OS or in InstallAWARE?

If I was in a RDBMS I could tell ya, here I'm just copying and pasting the characters, like I did for Spanish.

In the Regional Settings (in the Control Panel) I have tried changing the Regional Options (nuttin about ANSI or Unicode that I could find)

If you have Chinese characters installed you should be able to see these characters " 索用下列语言书写的网页 " other wise it will read ?????????.

The ??????????? is what I see in InstallAWARE when pasting in the above characters.

further help welcomed -
thankx -
- james

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:20 pm

I think the problem is you're using unicode.

Please download and install Emissary from www.mimarsinan.com.

That product contains Chinese translations, in the exact same translation environment as InstallAware. Could you compare that Chinese text with the one you are copy/pasting, I believe Emissary is ANSI whereas the other is unicode.

rufhouse

Localization Process

Postby rufhouse » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:15 pm

I checked out Emissary. The Emissary Chinese Translator looks great. The characters all appear to be there (although I have no idea what it says)

So yes, I can see the Chinese characters display great with Emissary. How can I do this with InstallAWARE?

I think we are almost there!
:wink:

thankx for the continued help -
- james

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:24 pm

James

The translator in Emissary is identical to the one in InstallAware.

I know for fact that Emissary translations are ANSI, and I think I can say with certainty that you are getting ???'s now because the characters you're trying to paste are UNICODE. To prove this to yourself - try to paste the same stuff into the Emissary translator.

You need to get an ANSI copy of the translations. This is all I can suggest...

Sincerely,
Sinan

Return to “Technical Support”