Hardware detection

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
mmiron

Hardware detection

Postby mmiron » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:25 pm

Is there a way in InstallAware that allows one to detect the amount of memory (available and installed) video card details, directx details, etc...

One could always write a custom plugin - but i'm wondering if InstallAware supports this natively?

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:59 pm

Please do not crosspost your questions on the forums. It's really annoying.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

mmiron

Postby mmiron » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:29 pm

I noticed i entered it in the incorrect forum afterwards; but couldn't remove it. Therefore my appologies for double posting. I'm assuming you removed it from the Sample Scripts section. Thanks.

I appreciate the quick reply and hopefully you could quickly answer my original post as well :)

Thanks.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:46 am

Almost 100% of what you want to detect, is stored on Registry.

Write a list of what you might need to detect and i'll see what the correct registry key to detect is, if one exists.

You can easily do it yourself though, by using google and type eg "Windows Detect how much memory is available".
Panagiotis Kefalidis

\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"

mmiron

Postby mmiron » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:15 am

Thanks Gizmo, I've tried that - but wasn't sure if that was 100% compatible with all win os (xp, vista) -

Hey - you wouldn't know if installware is able to generate a guid or unique id would you?

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:52 am

Generate a variable of GUID type?
Panagiotis Kefalidis

mmiron

Postby mmiron » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:52 pm

How exactly would one create a variable of type GUID? I've read the documentation, played with the IDE and read the forums; but i've yet to see how one creates a variable of a certain type (specifically of a GUID type?).

Thanks,
Marc

mmiron

Postby mmiron » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:55 pm

Perhaps you where talking about the Mathematics's function where you can create random numbers? - But GUIDs are something else? - Is there a simular function that handles GUID creation?

Return to “Technical Support”