side-to-side installation

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
cancelor

side-to-side installation

Postby cancelor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:31 am

Hello, I need to give my users the possibility to install two different versions side-by-side.

Reading the posts in the forum I understood I simply need to comment (or conditionally execute) the (Un)Install MSI Setup command. So I created a new project with this feature, and built two executable (same product code, two different revisions). When the second revision starts, it doesn't uninstall the previous one (as expected). But it doesn't install the new version!

What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:37 am

It's not a good practice to do it this way.

The best way is to create a seperate installer for your versions, with different ProductCodes and Revision.

The only thing you have to be cautious about is when you do UnInstall of one of your products. Before uninstall starts, you should check IF a different version of your products is installed, so you won't remove shared files by both versions.

Also take a look at the Multiple Instances sample. It might help you.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
InstallAware Software Corporation

cancelor

Postby cancelor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:48 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. So there is no way to ask the users if they want to upgrade the software to the new release or if they want a side-by-side installation?

Thanks

Gizm0 wrote:It's not a good practice to do it this way.

The best way is to create a seperate installer for your versions, with different ProductCodes and Revision.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:12 am

As i said, you can detect if another installation has already been made on the target machine and do whatever you want.

From doing a side-by-side installation (the way i told you) to asking them if they want to upgrade, instead of doing a side-by-side installation.
Panagiotis Kefalidis

\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"

cancelor

Postby cancelor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:28 am

Let me try to explain better my needs: my software has version A and version B, and they can be installed into separate folders (no shared components).

I had an installer for version A. I want to create now an installer for version B, that allows users to decide if they want to keep installed A and B or to upgrade A to B.

If the two installers are using the same product code, I can detect if a previous release is installed, and in this case ask the user how he prefers to proceed. If he wants to upgrade everything is OK. If he wants to keep the existing version (and install the new version in a different folder, skipping the uninstall command)... I found problems: the new version is not installed at all!

If I use two different product codes... how can I check if the old version is installed? The NEEDSUPGRADE variable is not helping me, right?

Thanks.

Gizm0

Postby Gizm0 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:45 am

You can check if the GUID (ProductCode) key exists at registry HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Uninstall\\{GUID HERE} using Check Registry Key.

If it does, then a previous version is installed. You can check for as many keys as you want.
Panagiotis Kefalidis

cancelor

Postby cancelor » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:54 am

:D

That's what I was missing!!! Thanks!

Return to “Technical Support”