Dialog Forms

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Rene

Dialog Forms

Postby Rene » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:09 pm

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt but.....

I am having a heck of a time picking the dialogs theme for my installation process primarily because of the lack of ability to edit the installation dialogs in the Developers version.

I am sad to say this but it almost looks like you guys are pulling an InstallShield strategy here by cutting down some much needed functionality to force us to buy the next version.

Yes, I do agree that your product is a lot cheaper than InstallShield and I should shut the hell up and not complain but seriously, I am not asking for the ability to create new themes, change color and none of that other stuff, what I am asking is for the ability to add, remove and change the text on the dialog screens…. I mean, even InstallShield *express* allows for some customization on their dialog form.

We are not even able to use some of the pre-build themes because our product name is long enough that it will not show complete some the dialog form themes and since there is no way to edit the form well…...

After playing around with the themes I finally found one that almost satisfies my needs (Plain Theme) and guess what…. Well the welcome screen suggest to “Backup Your System!!!” What a heck is that?? If I saw that message I will hit the Cancel button and never look back. The statement is damn scary! Backup your system?? What? Is the installation of this program possible corrupt my windows installation???? Sheesh come on guys.

The user interface is such an important part of the installation file that you really should allow modification to the dialogs form in the Developer version and above. I simply can’t justify paying another $150 dollars to be able to change a label.

For the mean time, is there a way to at leas change the welcome screen?

Oh yeah, there is also no print button on license agreement screen, you guys should consider adding a button there.

Thanks

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:47 pm

Rene

We always welcome all your comments - please do not hold back on anything.

If you do need to customize your dialogs, we really recommend going with Studio. You could add a Print button, for instance. Its well worth your investment - and I could get a discount coupon for you to lower the bill (contact me privately).

Of course, you may use the Localization Wizard to "localize" your setup strings. This way you can customize your dialog text without having access to the dialog editor. This works in all product editions.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Technical Support”