trouble registering a library

Got a problem you cannot solve? Try here.
Debstep

trouble registering a library

Postby Debstep » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:48 am

I have a few files marked for Self registration in the install files action. For some reason, they do not appear to be registering.
I tried unchecking the File is Self registering iption and just regisering the file through thte register action, but still no luck. the register action is before the Apply changes action in the script, should it be after?
When I log onto the test machine where I run the install, I have to go into safe mode and register the file from the command line using regsvr32...and it does register fine that way.

Any ideas??

Thanks

jimo

Postby jimo » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:19 am

Try putting the Register Library function after Apply Install, since it is a command that does not show up in purple I believe it is executed immediately, so the files would have to already be present on the target system.
Jim Oswell
Software Engineering Manager, Dental
Greenway Health, LLC
http://greenwaymedical.com

MichaelNesmith

Postby MichaelNesmith » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:22 am

Yes, you can try doing that after Apply Install, exactly like Jim suggests.

There is also a new way, you can use the Registry view and click the Import button to capture the self registration data directly as registry entries and add them to any feature in your project, directly as registry entries (so no self registration would be involved, but you need to review and update library paths in the captured registry entries).

So Jim's suggestion is easiest way to do it.
Michael Nesmith
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Debstep

Postby Debstep » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:50 am

Thanks Jimo and Michael,

This appears to have fixed the problem...thanks for the feedback and the alternate way of creating the registry item

Return to “Technical Support”