Integrated registration engine...

For all your non-technical questions.
[MS]Mark

Integrated registration engine...

Postby [MS]Mark » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:05 am

"The installer has an integrated registration engine that fires when the installation starts," said Neillans. "It verifies customer details and logs the installation in a database. If the user does not have an Internet connection, it prompts for registration over the phone. If the registration fails, the installation is aborted."

I see from the DevSource article it mentions the integrated registration engine - any more info on that as I've had a look at the help files (both PDF and on-line) posted here but can't see where it's mentioned.

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:10 am

Good question, I believe Neillans is referring to his own installer that he created using InstallAWARE with custom scripting, etc...there is no built-in registration functionality, but its very easy to make it using the "Download File" plugin.

[MS]Mark

Postby [MS]Mark » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:18 am

Thanks. I'd seen the 'Registration with serial' dialogue before but didn't think much of it until I read that and thought that it be another plus if InstallAware did have built-in registration functionality...

Postby Guest » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:36 pm

Thanks. I'd seen the 'Registration with serial' dialogue before but didn't think much of it until I read that and thought that it be another plus if InstallAware did have built-in registration functionality...

You can use the supplied dialogs and build a DLL with your registration functions, then pass the data to that :)

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:15 pm

Nice tip :D

Also, if you have a web page setup to process registrations, you could push data to that page using the Download File plug-in.

This is how the MimarSinan CompreXX installer works - it passes the registration data to an ASP page, which returns a response indicating whether the user has already obtained a license or not.

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 pm

InstallAware now ships with a serial numbers sample. Just download the latest version, then click File | New | Samples, and double-click the Serial Validation sample.

This sample shows how to generate, and validate, unique serial numbers based on user input (their user name and company names, or any other custom fields you may like). The sample is entirely built in InstallAware script and does not depend on outside DLLs.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

simmy

Postby simmy » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:52 am

Can the Serial Validation be used in the express edition or only developer?

Thanks
Simmy

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:07 pm

Hi Simmy,

You sure can build the sample, but you won't be able to change the random generator seeds, so your serials will be identical to those produced by the default sample. You can use Developer or above to edit the script that generates the serial numbers, so you would be able to create your own unique serials that way.
Candice Jones

InstallAware

Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer

Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”