Validating serial numbers within dialogs

For all your non-technical questions.
aburt

Validating serial numbers within dialogs

Postby aburt » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:58 am

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating InstallAware, but I can't find out how to do the following:

We use serial numbers in the form: XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX ideally I'd like to be able to have 4 edit boxes and be able to move the focus to the next box automatically rather than forcing the user to press tab or click in the next box. Is this possible to do?

Also, is it possible to validate the serial number using an external DLL?

Thanks,

Andrew

sinan
Site Admin

Postby sinan » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:22 pm

There are two ways you can call external DLLs in InstallAware. The first is to author a full-blown plugin, which has full access to the installation and the states of the variables used therein. The second calls any arbitrary DLL function and passes parameters to it, and can retrieve return values and changed parameters. I think for your needs the second approach is best - its a single command - Call DLL Function - and you don't need to bother with authoring a full plugin.

As for your second question, just open up the registrationwithserial dialog and edit it to remove the fifth box (or feel free to customize it any other way). Nothing is hard-coded in InstallAware :) The one thing you can't do at the moment is auto tabbing to the next box, but we've had a lot of requests for that and will be addressing it in future updates.

Please let me know if you need more help,
Sinan

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:08 pm

InstallAware now ships with a serial numbers sample. Just download the latest version, then click File | New | Samples, and double-click the Serial Validation sample.

This sample shows how to generate, and validate, unique serial numbers based on user input (their user name and company names, or any other custom fields you may like). The sample is entirely built in InstallAware script and does not depend on outside DLLs.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”