Conversion from Wise .wsi project

For all your non-technical questions.
Serban

Conversion from Wise .wsi project

Postby Serban » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:45 am

I'm considering InstallAware and are currently using Wise for Windows Installer. I can't seem to be able to convert a .wsi project into an IA project. The conversion tools prompt me for a .wse (Wise Script), and if I force it to open the .wsi file it just doesn't import anything (but doesn't give me any error).

I also tried the .msi database import route, which mostly worked but it created an installable .exe of 20 MB compared to the 9 MB .msi (I believe I set the right compression options). Also, when I run the .exe it says it's corrupted (Download corrupt, please obtain a fresh copy of this file). I tried the Squeezer on the original 9 MB .msi and I get a 6 MB exe! (which is what prompted me to try out the InstallAware Studio in the first place).

Another off topic question: is there support for installing configuration files that contain file paths, that need to be replaced with proper installation paths at install time? (in my case Axis C++ requires a conf file with full paths to some of its resources, which will depend on the installation path).

And a last question, not very important: I noticed that when I change from Visual to Code views, my whole desktop flickers (as if it quickly paints and repaints windows outside of the InstallAware application window). Wise does something similar, but less visible. Seems rather strange ...

Any adivse/clarification appreciated

CandiceJones

Postby CandiceJones » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:54 am

Hi Serban!

You can only import Wise Script files, importing Wise MSI projects is not supported. You can also try to use PackageAware on your MSI setup to convert it to InstallAware.

Very strange about the file size. Perhaps there are some runtimes you are including in your setup (like .NET and MSI) which is causing the size to grow huge.

You receive the download corrupt error if the data on the compressed file has become corrupt, or you have specified an incorrect setup password.

Its very easy for you to use paths flexiby in InstallAware. Just use a variable in the command that writes to the conf file. For example, if you use the form $TARGETDIR$\\myfile.dat, it will be resolved to the file "myfile.dat" on the target installation folder chosen by the end-user at runtime. You are not limited to $TARGETDIR$ only either, you can declare and use as many variables as you need - the full power of the InstallAware MSIcode is in your hands. Its a script just like the traditional WiseScript language, but it seamlessly compiles into Windows Installer.
Candice Jones
InstallAware
Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/

Return to “Non-Technical”