Will upgrading help me?

For all your non-technical questions.
keefie

Will upgrading help me?

Postby keefie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi I'm on version 10.10 of Installaware. I have three separate, simple installers,
1. Core product installer
2. Optional feature installer 1
3. Optional installer 2
These work fine ... thanks!

Now I am working on a combined installer (Installer #4) that puts up a dialog allowing the user to choose which optional features, if any, will be installed. The constraint I am under is that each of the three original installers need to still exist individually and new to still function properly.

I've been experimenting with "Include script" under InstallAware 10.10 which gets me pretty close. However, there are a couple of roadblocks I've run into and would love to find out these road blocks have been removed in later releases and all I need to do is upgrade :)

Roadblock #1
In the 'MSI Code' tab I need to add dialogs referenced by scripts I include. When I add a dialog (Dialogs - > Add Dialog to Project) the appropriate .dfm file is copied into my installer's main folder. This means I now have two copies of the dialog, one in the combined installer (#4) and on in the original simple installer (#1, #2 or #3). Obviously this is not good. Ideally I'd like this to work more like including scripts when my combined installer (#4) just references the original script without taking a copy.

Roadblock #2
When I use "include script" to decompose my top level script into multiple reusable/modular scripts I lose the ability to use many functions on the Design tab. For example if I choose to add a new file (i.e. Design -> Setup Architecture -> Files -> Add New Files) then I get an error saying "'Apply Install' command not found in setup script" even though I have included a script containing 'Apply Install'. Is this a constraint that is present in all releases of InstallAware and/or is there a workaround/best-practice-recommended-approach to remove this roadblock?

PS. I would take the trial version of v15 and work this out for myself but it looks like the first thing the trial version does is uninstall my current version #fail

FrancescoT
Site Admin

Re: Will upgrading help me?

Postby FrancescoT » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:57 am

Dear Keefie,

Please excuse me, but I am not able to full follow what you are really trying to do.

At first look seems that you are trying to combine separate installer packages with a project, but reading the rest of your post seems not true.

Roadblock #1
In the 'MSI Code' tab I need to add dialogs referenced by scripts I include. When I add a dialog (Dialogs - > Add Dialog to Project) the appropriate .dfm file is copied into my installer's main folder. This means I now have two copies of the dialog, one in the combined installer (#4) and on in the original simple installer (#1, #2 or #3). Obviously this is not good. Ideally I'd like this to work more like including scripts when my combined installer (#4) just references the original script without taking a copy.

I really don't understand why you add once again a dialog, that it is already used by your project (the combined installer (#4) and on in the original simple installer (#1, #2 or #3)). This is not necessary at all! If the project already uses a particular dialog resourse, the exact same resource have to be used with the script. Unless this dialog have a different functionality, but in this case you should save it with a different name.

Roadblock #2
When I use "include script" to decompose my top level script into multiple reusable/modular scripts I lose the ability to use many functions on the Design tab. For example if I choose to add a new file (i.e. Design -> Setup Architecture -> Files -> Add New Files) then I get an error saying "'Apply Install' command not found in setup script" even though I have included a script containing 'Apply Install'. Is this a constraint that is present in all releases of InstallAware and/or is there a workaround/best-practice-recommended-approach to remove this roadblock?

I'm really sorry, but even the above approach you are using it is not clear at at all to me.
What do you mean with; "When I use "include script" to decompose my top level script into multiple reusable/modular scripts "????
The main project script contains the installation logic flow and you should not break it. The main project script works exactly as a "MAIN" function works with any programming language and a call to the Include Script command, it is exactly as to include a sub-fuction call within a Main function.

I really suspect that exist something wrong with your setup package approaches.
Probably, if you will try to post a sample that describes which is your target, I will be able to find out what really are the difficulties that you seems to have.

Regards.
Francesco Toscano
InstallAware Software

White Papers (HowTos) - http://www.installaware.com/publication ... papers.htm
Publications - http://www.installaware.com/publications-review.htm
InstallAware Help -F1 anywhere in the InstallAware IDE

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:16 pm

keefie wrote:Roadblock #1

There are actually a couple of ways you can do this.

Just create all the dialogs you need and then use the GoTo Label to display any dialog forwards or backwards if certain conditions are true or not. Look at the Custom Setup dialog.

You can also just use one dialog to display or hide diefferent text or options based on certain conditions you create. Look at the Finish dialog.

keefie wrote:Roadblock #2

Not quite sure if I follow you on this one either, but you may want to peak at the Serial Number sample as it shows how to completely change the behaviour of an installaton by changing one variable.

I personally would not put Apply Install in a separate script, but do all mods and includes from within the basic top level script.

keefie

Postby keefie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for the effort but these replies don't go where I need to go. I both want to avoid copy/paste situations and at the same time manage dependencies such that the individual simple installers having no knowledge of the combined installer. including no flow of dialogs flags/if-statements related to the combined installer. Programming 101 stuff.

Fyi I am now circumventing Roadblock #1 by copying required resources with build script and never submitting the copied resources to the SCM system. This at least avoids duplicates. I'm effectively utilizing the NullObject pattern with my included scripts control my flow.

SteveDude

Postby SteveDude » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Glad you have things working, but it sounds like you are making things more complicated than they need to be. Good Luck.

keefie

Postby keefie » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:58 pm

As per my original query it looks like it is not worth my while to upgrade given the absence of pre-sales interaction over this matter.

Jason_Strathmore

Postby Jason_Strathmore » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:01 pm

keefie wrote:As per my original query it looks like it is not worth my while to upgrade given the absence of pre-sales interaction over this matter.

Please excuse me, but I would like to help you if I can. I have not received any direct contact from you. Please contact me directly, so we may address all of your requirements. Thank you!

Return to “Non-Technical”