how to get version from a file?
-
binkle
how to get version from a file?
Hi,
I don't linke to set the version for the setup every time.
How can I set the version by getting it from a file(version)?
Harry
I don't linke to set the version for the setup every time.
How can I set the version by getting it from a file(version)?
Harry
-
MichaelNesmith
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
- Contact:
-
binkle
Fine, but it's not possible to get a file version in windows (XP) commandline.
Or do you know how to do that in a makefile?
Other setup programs do support this very easy e.g. Innosetup:
Greetings
Harry
Or do you know how to do that in a makefile?
Other setup programs do support this very easy e.g. Innosetup:
Code: Select all
#define AppVersion GetStringFileInfo(AddBackslash(SourcePath)+"..\\MyApp.exe", PRODUCT_VERSION)
#define BuildVersion GetStringFileInfo(AddBackslash(SourcePath)+"..\\MyApp.exe", FILE_VERSION)Harry
-
binkle
-
MichaelNesmith
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
- Contact:
-
binkle
Michael,
you missed my question.
I know how to use compiler variables.
But I don't know which variable I need to override with my compiler variable to set the setup version.
I know there is the predefined variable VERSION. I suppose this is the one to be changed. But I did not find it in my MSI script.
Where/when does this variable get the value I entered in the options?
Because I need to assign my compiler variable instead.
you missed my question.
I know how to use compiler variables.
But I don't know which variable I need to override with my compiler variable to set the setup version.
I know there is the predefined variable VERSION. I suppose this is the one to be changed. But I did not find it in my MSI script.
Where/when does this variable get the value I entered in the options?
Because I need to assign my compiler variable instead.
-
MichaelNesmith
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
- Contact:
I think the help also says that you can set compiler variables from the command line build tool, or the IDE Project Options window which is where you first declare them.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
-
binkle
Micheal,
let me reformulate my question:
I need to set the predefined variable VERSION for compiling to make the setup.exe file have the fileversion I specify in commandline build.
Where should I do this?
There is no hint in the help how to do this, or can you tell me where, or paste the related part of the help.
So I need to do something like:
Then I should get a setup file mysetup.exe having the fileversion 1.2.3.
When/where in the setup script do I have to assign #SETUPVERSION# to the predefined variable VERSION?
let me reformulate my question:
I need to set the predefined variable VERSION for compiling to make the setup.exe file have the fileversion I specify in commandline build.
Where should I do this?
There is no hint in the help how to do this, or can you tell me where, or paste the related part of the help.
So I need to do something like:
Code: Select all
miabuild.exe mysetup.mpr /r /b=2 /p=testPASSWORD SETUPVERSION=1.2.3"When/where in the setup script do I have to assign #SETUPVERSION# to the predefined variable VERSION?
-
MichaelNesmith
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
- Contact:
I don't see why its hard to see this. Enter the compiler variable where you normally type a fixed version in the IDE. There are two places you type the fixed version in the IDE, both which edit the same property. One is in the Project Options window and the other is in the Project Properties designer in the visual IDE.When/where in the setup script do I have to assign #SETUPVERSION# to the predefined variable VERSION?
I'm sorry if I wasn't verbose enough, but this really seems obvious to me, since you have already set the version once, you know where it is, and I don't see why you just didn't try to put the compiler variable in there.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
-
binkle
-
MichaelNesmith
- Posts: 3452
- Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
- Contact:
-
binkle
Does version 7 of InstallAware support this?
Does version 7 of InstallAware support getting the setup version from a file(version)?

