License Key

Post specialized setup scripts you have created here.
Post Reply
gullion
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:00 am

License Key

Post by gullion »

Another newbie question:

Is there no way to request a license key from the user? I know I can password protect the installation file, but this would require me to distribute the file with the same password to all users, or rebuild for every user; impractical in either event. How do other people deal with this, through a custom DLL?
Gizm0
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 pm

Re: License Key

Post by Gizm0 »

gullion wrote:Another newbie question:

Is there no way to request a license key from the user? I know I can password protect the installation file, but this would require me to distribute the file with the same password to all users, or rebuild for every user; impractical in either event. How do other people deal with this, through a custom DLL?
Or through a custom validation routine build with MSICode.
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
Install[b]Aware[/b] Software Corporation
FinlandRobert
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:33 am

Post by FinlandRobert »

This question seems to relate to what I want to do with the current project I'm working on. My goal is to provide one installation to multiple locations in different countries, and provide an installation key that would be unique to each country that would automagically install the application and country specific data set depending on the key used. The application and data installation is planned to be web based.

Any thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated!
CandiceJones
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm
Contact:

Post by CandiceJones »

1) Use the Web Media Block command to wrap parts of your setup that you want to download from the Internet at runtime.

2) Analyze the license key entered by the user any way you like in MSIcode (if you need to call a DLL to do this, use the Call DLL Function command), and branch out into different conditional installation sections using the If command.
Candice Jones
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
FinlandRobert
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:33 am

Post by FinlandRobert »

thank you for the sugestion! I'll give it a try.

Robert
Post Reply