Do I have to buy Admin Studio to do nightly builds?

For all your non-technical questions.
Post Reply
jgwozdz
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 am

Do I have to buy Admin Studio to do nightly builds?

Post by jgwozdz »

Hi

As far as I understand, I need Automation interface to do scripted builds without running IDE.
For some time my company has been using InstallShield to do the work but we're thinking of switching to InstallAware. The problem is very high price of the only package with automation interface.

Let me share with you with my needs:
On my workstation I need InstallAware Developer (for best experience running under virtual machine) for my setup authoring needs.
On build machine (VM on some server in server room) I have to be able to call the script that will increase version in package and build all needed *.msi and *Setup.exe. I totally don't need (nor want) any graphical interface on this build machine.
I have it all up and running with InstallShield for years, but how about InstallAware?

Is there any cheaper option than buying InstallAware Studio Admin with floating license?
CandiceJones
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm
Contact:

Post by CandiceJones »

If you only wish to do command line builds, you can do that with Developer.

If you wish to use Compiler Variables to customize your command line builds (at build time), you can do that with Studio. This includes not just version numbers but also including/excluding entire parts of your setup.

If you prefer to programmatically emit and build entire setup projects from scratch, only then do you need Studio Admin's automation interface. You do not need it otherwise.
Candice Jones
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
jgwozdz
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:26 am

Post by jgwozdz »

Thank you for your answer.

And how much licenses will I need assuming that I need GUI on my workstation and command line on the build machine (as I described above)?
CandiceJones
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm
Contact:

Post by CandiceJones »

2 Developer licenses, or
1 Studio license with floating
Candice Jones
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
E.L.
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:42 am

Re:

Post by E.L. »

CandiceJones wrote:
2 Developer licenses, or
1 Studio license with floating
Sorry, I've just read a reply saying the Studio won't require a Floating license in your case - see link: http://www.installaware.com/forum/viewt ... f=6&t=5192
Post Reply