XML File Updating / Database Scripting

For all your non-technical questions.
Post Reply
jsanders
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 am

XML File Updating / Database Scripting

Post by jsanders »

Hi,

Does InstallAware support updating of XML files during installation, and does it support running of database scripts for SQL Server and Oracle?

Also, do you have consultants who could help us finish our installation. We started in InstallShield, but I would like to consider converting to InstallAware.

Regards,
Jeff
Gizm0
Posts: 339
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 pm

Post by Gizm0 »

Hello,

The answer is yes to your questions. There is only a small issue about how do you mean by "updating" an XML file.

I'm a consultant myself, so you can contact me in person whenever you want.

Thank you,
Panagiotis Kefalidis
Software Design Team Lead
\"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure\"
Install[b]Aware[/b] Software Corporation
Tiago
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am

Post by Tiago »

So... can I change values from a XML the same way I do with INI files or do I need an external tool?
CandiceJones
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm
Contact:

Post by CandiceJones »

You can use the free EditFile plug-in to edit any kind of text file.

Edit INI File is a built-in Windows Installer command which lets you edit INI files.

Or you can do whatever you like using Read from Text File, Write to Text File, Replace String, Parse String, and other similar built-in MSIcode commands :)
Candice Jones
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
Tiago
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am

Post by Tiago »

I think Replace String will do it nicely.
Thanks for the info! :)
Tiago
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am

How could I?

Post by Tiago »

I thought the Replace String command would be easy to use, but it reads only one line at a time. Would it be possible to scan an entire file in order to find and replace a token using the Replace String command? I have already tried using the miraculous EditFile plugin, but it doesn't seem to be working with my InstallAware 9 (Error during build: Failed to compile plug-in action: EditFile).

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.
Tiago
Posts: 129
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:08 am

Post by Tiago »

I have downloaded the EditFile plugin version 1.2 in this link: http://www.installaware.com/forums/olda ... lugins.exe
I installed it to use with IA9 and now everything seems to be workign fine.
Post Reply