Upgrade Code plug-in 1.0.0

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
Post Reply
Tinus
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Upgrade Code plug-in 1.0.0

Post by Tinus »

This plug-in detects a product based on the upgrade code. It returns the product code if the upgrade code is found.
This is useful if you upgraded from InstallShield Express to InstallAWARE.

More information and download is here:
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware

If you have any comments, problems, suggestions please post to this thread.
Last edited by Tinus on Wed May 07, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Rothschink

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware
Tinus
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Post by Tinus »

There was a problem in version 1.0.0, when no upgrade code was entered.
This is fixed in version 1.0.1.
Last edited by Tinus on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Rothschink

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware
Ryan Lee
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:11 pm

Post by Ryan Lee »

I have been using your plug-in under Win32 and it works great. However, in x64 it does not return a product code. Is the usage different under x64 or is there potentially a problem with the plug-in?

I have verified the upgrade code that is being used in my installer using ORCA and I am sending the correct value into your plug-in.

Thanks,
Ryan
Tinus
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Post by Tinus »

Ryan,

I've made no tests with x64, so I can't say what's the problem here.
Can you please give me some more information:
- Is this an upgrade code from a 32 or 64 bit app?
- What installer was used for the product you want to upgrade?
Martin Rothschink

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware
Ryan Lee
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:11 pm

Post by Ryan Lee »

With my previous installer, Wix, I generated two msi packages from the same source code (one for win32 and the other x64). In each package, the files included and the isWin64 properties were set by compiler variables.They both specify the exact same upgrade code. When inspecting the generated msi files using ORCA, the product code in the property tables were both the same values.

When I install the win32 msi onto a Win XP sp2 and run my IA installer, I can read the product code given the upgrade code. When I install the x64 installer on a 64bit os (Windows Server 2003 x64) and run my IA installer, it returns an empty string.
Tinus
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Post by Tinus »

Ryan, please read your PM.
Martin Rothschink

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware
Tinus
Posts: 209
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:42 am
Location: Germany

Post by Tinus »

I have uploaded a new version 2.1 which fixes this problem.

More information and download is here:
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware
Martin Rothschink

AxoNet Software GmbH
http://www.axonet.de/products/other-pro ... stallaware
Post Reply