Extract error

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
Post Reply
JeffTucker
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am
Contact:

Extract error

Post by JeffTucker »

I believe this is a legitimate bug. I have a web media install in which several Altiris projects are being compressed into 7zip archives. These are reliably copied to our website and they are served up correctly. I found that the IA installer will not extract these projects at all.

In fact I went back to the build machine and opened the 7zip files with 7-zip version 4.65 file manager (from 7-zip.org), the archives cannot be extracted!
If I run a compression using the 7-zip file manager against the same files as the installer compresses, it too has the same problem.

Is there a file type that 7-zip is incapable of compressing?
Fiddling with technology
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

There are very occasionally circumstances which causes the 7zip compression code to fail. You can try scaling back your compression to see if it helps with this; or alternately you may change the file set. Even adding new files with some different data can sometimes solve this problem in the compression engine.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
Post Reply