Running InstallAware from cmd line

For all your non-technical questions.
Post Reply
aevanne
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

Running InstallAware from cmd line

Post by aevanne »

Hi,
I need to be able to create a .msi file from the cmd line (or from a script). Is this possible using InstallAware?

Thanks!
bokkie
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:30 am

Post by bokkie »

Yes.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP
aevanne
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

Post by aevanne »

Great thanks. Is there example code or documantation somewhere on how to do this?
aevanne
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

Post by aevanne »

Also, I need to be able to modify the script (update variables/paths on the fly) before running Installaware to create the msi file. Is this doable? I can't find any documentation regarding creating .msi from cmd line ....

Thanks.
CandiceJones
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm
Contact:

Post by CandiceJones »

You want to use compiler variables. Read up on the help.
Candice Jones
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
aevanne
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

Post by aevanne »

OK, thanks. will do.

So my other question, where can I find help on generating msi (unattended) from the cmd line using IA?

Thanks,
bokkie
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:30 am

Post by bokkie »

When you install IA it installs the build utility called miabuild. Run that from a command window without parameters and it will display the command line options.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP
aevanne
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

Post by aevanne »

Aha, thank you. That's what I was looking for. I'm just looking at the eval copy for now - it doesn't seem to be there. What package will it be part of?
bokkie
Posts: 767
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:30 am

Post by bokkie »

On my machine it's in C:\\Program Files\\InstallAware\\InstallAware 9. I don't know if it is version specific however. I have Studio Admin version which has everything. I recall it was also in the Studio version. I've never installed just the Express version so I can't say for sure if it is truly universally available or not.
Peter. Smartly dressed, he still resembles an unmade bed.
InstallAware MVP
aevanne
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

Post by aevanne »

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
CandiceJones
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:03 pm
Contact:

Post by CandiceJones »

Uninstall Express, then run the same setup file you downloaded and choose Developer or a higher edition. The setup file for all editions is the same and you choose your edition in the setup wizard.
Candice Jones
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
Post Reply