Write Registry Persist - plugin (Freeware)

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Write Registry Persist - plugin (Freeware)

Post by stevew »

If you noticed the built in Write Registry goes through Window's Installer and therefore the registry entries are removed when uninstalling. My plugin adds the registry string using WIN32 API and therefore the entries are not removed when uninstalling.

Please tell me any comments here. I am curious if this will make me famous or not.

Also, if anyone wants me to make them any custom plugin just let me know. I do it for $5 less than anyone else!

File Attached:

<a>WriteRegPersist.exe
K-ballo
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:45 pm

Post by K-ballo »

I think that the best way to do it will be to create a new component on the MSI database and set the msidbComponentAttributesPermanent attribute, then add the registry values on the Registry table, as children of the new component.
I didn't try this, but seems to be the right way to go. Again, just guessing...
jed
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:24 am

Re: ANN: Write Registry Persist - plugin (Freeware)

Post by jed »

> Please tell me any comments here.

Doesn't work when you are trying to write a variables value to the registry.
jed
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:24 am

Post by jed »

[quote="K-ballo"]I think that the best way to do it will be to create a new component on the MSI database and set the msidbComponentAttributesPermanent attribute, then add the registry values on the Registry table, as children of the new component.
I didn't try this, but seems to be the right way to go. Again, just guessing...[/quote]

How do you do this in InstallAware?
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

var update

Post by stevew »

this one is updated to write a single var.

This works:

$VAR$

This does not work:

$VAR$$VAR$

Just do concats beforehand.

Here it is:

File Attached:

WriteRegPersist.exe
slickompressor
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks!

Post by slickompressor »

You're the man! This plug-in helped out a lot!
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Post by stevew »

i haven't tried yet, but i was reading that this feature is documented as now included on InstallAWARE 5.1.

Updated Scripting Commands

The Write Registry command can now persist the data it writes, surviving uninstalls.
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Hi Steve!

Yes, we added this as a standard feature to the Write Registry command. Thanks a lot for making your plug-in available in the meantime!
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
ulrichard
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:45 am
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Still useful

Post by ulrichard »

Hi steve,
The plug in can still be useful, if you want immediate execution and not have the msi engine do the change. For example in the following scenario:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937624
I want to make the registry setting mentioned in the article a prerequisite on Vista installations. After I set the value, I need to reboot. If I use the regular "Write Registry" command, I have to call "Apply Install" immediately after, and then "Reboot Computer and Resume Setup".
After the reboot, the setup realizes that the product revision is registered and goes into maintenance mode. Not really what I wanted!
That's where your plugin comes into play. Too bad that it only writes String values (REG_SZ).

Could you extend the plugin to also write numeric values (DWORD), or share the source, so that I can extend it?
Anyway, thanks for your work.

Rgds,
Richi
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Not Compiling after upgrading to IA9

Post by tj »

When compiling for Install Aware 9 I get:
Error: Could not compile action write registry persist


Does this plugin need to be updated?
I'm using it to drop/update a registry value pre-applyinstall
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Error Message Correction

Post by tj »

Correction on that error message. The project compiles but when I try to build I get:

Error during build: Failed to compile plug-in action: Write Registry Persist
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Dear Plug-In Author,

InstallAware 9 does let plug-ins abort the build, it uses a previously reserved function return value for this.

We're really sorry we missed you during our sweep of existing plug-ins - we had tried to contact each author for this update so plug-ins could be updated accordingly.

Please let us know if you need any help updating your plug-in! It is much valued by our community as you can see :)
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Post by stevew »

... oops ... okay, i'm on it ...
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Here to help

Post by tj »

That's great.

I'm available to help test. Send me a private message if you need anything from me.
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Post by stevew »

This updated plug-in is compatible with InstallAware version 9 as well.

File Attached:

WriteRegPersist.exe
Post Reply