I have an executable that has to run before a merge module

Post specialized setup scripts you have created here.
Post Reply
dunion
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am

I have an executable that has to run before a merge module

Post by dunion »

Due to some 3rd party requirements. What is the best way to make this happen? Could I start a blank modal dialog that closes when some program run at the top of my msi script. launch the dialog, have it launch the program with the paramters it needs? The problem is that I need it after the 'apply install' so the code is copied there but it seems that right after this the merge modules are already 'done'.

Is there a standard way to tell a merge-module to go 'at the end'?
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Re: I have an executable that has to run before a merge modu

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Merge modules will be applied at the same time as the bulk of your setup when Apply Install is called.

You can work around this by converting your MSM's into MSI's and then running them whenever you want with (Un)Install MSI Setup. Or, just convert them to an InstallAware script using the Database Import Wizard.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
dunion
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 am

Re: I have an executable that has to run before a merge modu

Post by dunion »

I've converted it to an MSI and I"m going to try that - I need it to be silent, so I'll have to see how that goes, if that works I'm OK, if not I'll try the import idea next.

Thanks
Post Reply