Write Registry Persist - plugin (Freeware)

Interested in developing new plug-ins? Got one to share? Post here!
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by tj »

Thanks for your super quick turn around.

I removed the old version and installed this version. The error has changed to:

Failed to compile plug-in action: Write Registry Persist


I notified [email protected] to see if they are getting the same thing with IA9.

again, let me know if you'd like me help in any way.
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Post by stevew »

hi tj. i can't find any problem to fix. sorry. i've tried on two other machines and all works slick as can be. i guess i would just ask you to make sure you have the new dll and not the old one still. but if you say the behaviour is changed you must have a new dll.
have you tried to re-add the plug-in into your IA9 project? (that's all i can think of).

anyway, i don't think i can help further (since i can't make the problem happen). sorry.
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

It worked very well for me too! I have no idea why it doesn't work on your system, sorry...

Thanks a lot for the quick update on the plug-in :)
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by tj »

I tracked this down to something I can reproduce.

Try a tiny test app with more than one call to the plug-in.

It works for me with one call. It fails with two or more.

I also noticed that if I hit the "Compile" button twice, I get the error even with one call to the plugin. Don't know if that would help with troubleshooting.

Let me know if you guys don't see the same thing. I've uninstalled and cleaned my box of all IA and plugins and reinstalled everything but I'm still seeing this behavior.
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Post by stevew »

okay, i see a problem if i use the plug in a second time as you indicate. thanks! ... i'll try to see if i can fix this ... (i'm surprised this is a new error ... did it happen before IA9?) all i did now was change a function to return TRUE instead of FALSE. anyway ... stand by ...
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by tj »

I only saw this error after upgrading to IA9.
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

I am also able to reproduce the error with consecutive calls to the plug-in.

Other plug-ins updated for InstallAware 9 don't seem to exhibit this behavior, so I would think this is a plug-in bug.

Please let me know if you need any help from us during resolution.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Sorry to have to report yet another plug-in bug here...

When the plug-in is called at least once, the $NEWLINE$ variable no longer resolves to #13#10 - the carriage return/line feed sequence.

Therefore, it seems that the plug-in might also be corrupting runtime variable lists.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Post by stevew »

Okay here is the corrected plugin. I'm not sure about a $NEWLINE$ problem. If you want to write a multiline string to the registry you still have to concatinate the values into one variable beforehand. When viewing later, since regedit doesn't allow these values, you just see two little squares. I probably just don't know how to recreate the problem you are describing.

File Attached:

WriteRegPersist.exe
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Hi Steve,

Good news: The plug-in builds successfully in consecutive builds.
Bad news: $NEWLINE$ corruption is still there.

Try something like this to see what the bug is:

Code: Select all

Set Variable VAR to 
Write Registry Persist Key HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\MimarSinan\\test, data
Set Variable VARX to 
Write Registry Persist Key HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\MimarSinan\\test, data
MessageBox: pers, $VAR$$NEWLINE$$VARX$
The expected result is:
---------------------------
pers
---------------------------
OK
OK
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

The actual result is:
---------------------------
pers
---------------------------
OK$NEWLINE$OK
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------
If the plug-in is not called, the $NEWLINE$ variable does not get corrupted...
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by tj »

Looks like this compiles and builds just fine now.

I haven't put it through the paces of an install just yet (takes a while) but I'm not sure what the $NEWLINE$ issue was either.

Michael, please see if you can reproduce the error you mentioned with this version?

Stevew, THANKS A TON for your quick response. I'm up against a late quarterly release so the quick turn around on this has been a HUGE help!

Much appreciated,
tj
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Yep, tested above with the latest version. Variable corruption could be pretty serious.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
stevew
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 am

Post by stevew »

Here is the update.

File Attached:

WriteRegPersist.exe
tj
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:38 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Post by tj »

My setup test was a success. No compile or build errors and the install was smooth.

Once again, thanks for taking care of this.
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

I've also got nothing but good news this time round, the variable lists are no longer getting corrupted and $NEWLINE$ is back to resolving properly :)

Great job! :D
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
Post Reply