Script for setting up an Application Pool in IIS

Post specialized setup scripts you have created here.
andrejzr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:17 am

Script for setting up an Application Pool in IIS

Post by andrejzr »

Hello,

Do you have any sample scripts, that would install the application pool and relate it to the virtual directory, created by the InstallAware build in action?

Thanks
Andrej.
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Hi!

This is set in the Application Properties section of the Create IIS Virtual Folder command.
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
andrejzr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:17 am

Script for setting up an Application Pool in IIS

Post by andrejzr »

Hi,

What I would like to achieve is create a new Application Pool (I need it because my ASP.NET application is using a COM service, that requires running under special user account). After it is created, I would connect the virtual directory to the newly created application pool.

In the Application Properties section I also do not see an option to set Application Pool. I do not want just to create Application, but the Application pool. Maybe I am missing something?

Thank you.
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

I believe choosing Medium in the Application Protection section will create a new application pool for that virtual folder. Is this not the case?
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
andrejzr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:17 am

Post by andrejzr »

Unfortunately this is not the case. When I install the WEB site on Windows 2003 server, the Application Pool is still set to the DefaultAppPool.
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Ah, I see what you mean. I will add this in as an official feature request. We'll soon have a plug-in that accomodates your need!
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
andrejzr
Posts: 68
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:17 am

Post by andrejzr »

You are a star!

Keep me informed on the progress.

Thank you.
isf
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Post by isf »

Hello,

I'm using the trial version of InstallAware and this is the only point which is causing me trouble. I really need to create a new Application on a Virtual Directory on IIS 5.1 and it always sets the Application Pool to DefaultAppPool.
Do you have any estimates when the plugin will be released? Our application needs to be ready for next week!
Thanks in advance for your help. And congratulations for a great product.

Kind regards,
paulo
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

I don't have a timeline yet - but we're hoping real soon!
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
isf
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Post by isf »

A really nice addition would be to force a virtual directory or website specific ASP.NET version, because many machines have both installed and it has to be changed manually in the ASP.NET tab in the site/vdir configuration.
Thanks for your attention.

Regards,
paulo
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Hi Paulo,

Could you please explain in a little more detail what you mean?
Are you asking for the capability to check for a specific ASP.NET version?
How is this related to virtual directories?

Please let me know in detail - and I'll make sure it gets action!
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
isf
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Post by isf »

Hello Michael,

I am referring to the fact that when you create a website or virtual directory for ASP.NET you can assign a specific .NET framework version to be used for that website / vdir. That way, you can have multiple ASP.NET websites running different framework versions.
However, if you have both frameworks installed, 1.1 and 2.0, when you create a website / vdir it defaults for 1.1, and you have to change it manually to 2.0 if you are putting a 2.0 ASP.NET application there. So it would be nice to automate this in the installation. This can be done manually in IIS Manager in the website / vdir Properties in the ASP.NET tab.
Thank you for your attention.

Regards,
Paulo[/img]
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

So, the specific feature you want, is to associate a particular version of ASP.NET (.NET 1.1/2.0) with an IIS virtual folder?
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
isf
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Post by isf »

Yes, that's it. Associate a .NET version with either with a virtual folder or a website. Is it possible?

Regards,
paulo
MichaelNesmith
Posts: 3452
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:17 pm
Contact:

Post by MichaelNesmith »

Hi Paulo,

If this kind of option is supported natively by the IIS Manager, yes it will be possible :)
Michael Nesmith
Install[b]Aware[/b]
[i]Home of The Next Generation MSI Installer[/i]
Get your free copy today - http://www.installaware.com/
Post Reply